The Center for Micro-BioRobotics (CMBR), an IIT-Network Center based in Pontedera (Italy), is opening a Postdoctoral position in the area of “Ultra-Conformable Organic Electronics and Thin Films”.
The major objective of this research area is to develop new ultrathin and ultra-conformable electronic circuits and components, for applications in the fields of biomedical engineering, smart/functional surfaces and soft robotics. Targeted electronic components to be developed by using organic conducting polymers and semiconductors printed / deposited on ultrathin/transferrable substrates could include: Organic TFT, Organic Photovoltaic Modules, Batteries, Displays, basic electronic modules (oscillators, counters, etc.).
CMBR possesses world class facilities and expertise for developing a new generation of robots and devices made of polymer-based soft functional materials and inspired by living organisms, such as plants and animals. We work in particular on system fabrication, functional materials and interfaces, actuation and sensing solutions. CMBR has fully equipped chemical, biological and microfabrication facilities, including clean rooms (class 1000 and class 10000), chemical laboratories, BSL2 biological laboratories, and equipments for material testing and characterization.
We are looking for candidates with relevant expertise in microelectronics, in particular, with experience in organic electronics and/or printed electronics.
Based on targeted applications, research activities can leverage the excellent CMBR facilities, as well as collaborations. International applications are encouraged.
We are looking for a scientist with the following competences/skills:
• Solid background in electronic engineering focused on organic microelectronics and/or printed microelectronics is strictly required.
• Experience in microfabrication, and autonomy in using basic clean room equipments, is required. Targeted technologies/instrumentations include: spin coating; lithography; sputtering/evaporator deposition; ink jet printing; profilometry; Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM).
• Knowledge and experience on microelectronic circuits characterization is desirable, including low noise measurement techniques and semiconductor parameter analysis.
• Experience on microelectronic circuit modelling and simulation is desirable, even if not mandatory.
• Relevant hand-on experience in electronic microscopy as well as other investigation techniques for microelectronic circuits and thin film characterization will be considered as a plus.
• Competences on: microcontroller based systems development, CAD circuits realization and embedded firmware programming will be considered as a plus.
Strong organizational skills, creativity, motivation and communication skills (oral and written) are highly required.
The prospective candidate has a Ph.D. in Electronic Engineering, Materials Science, Solid State Physics, or in related fields.
He/she will be expected to: publish scholarly papers; attend international conferences; proactively perform research in a multidisciplinary working environment (encompassing e.g. bio-engineers, materials scientists, chemists and biologists); be able to set-up, follow, monitor and oversee his/her personal research plans and directions; supervise PhD students.
Applications, assembled as a single PDF file, shall include:
• a complete CV with a full list of publications, plus a final section titled “Relevant skills” commenting on the strong points where your CV matches the required skills (list above);
• a research statement (up to 3 pages) describing research goals and related plans over a 2-year span of time;
• copy of up to 5 relevant papers, plus a final section titled “Personal contributions” detailing your specific contributions to each presented papers;
• names of 2 referees
In order to comply with Italian law (art. 23 of Privacy Law of the Italian Legislative Decree n. 196/03), the candidate is kindly asked to give his/her consent to allow IIT to process his/her personal data. We inform you that the information you provide will be solely used for the purpose of assessing your professional profile to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia. Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as the Data Holder, using computer and paper-based means, observing the rules on the protection of personal data, including those relating to the security of data. Please also note that, pursuant to art.7 of Legislative Decree 196/2003, you may exercise your rights at any time as a party concerned by contacting the Data Manager.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce