The Center for Micro-BioRobotics (CMBR), an IIT-Network Center based in Pontedera (Italy), is opening a Postdoctoral position in the area of “chemistry for functional materials”.
The major objective of this research area is to develop new functional and responsive materials, polymeric (nano)composites and coatings for applications in the fields of soft robotics, organic electronics and smart/functional surfaces. Targeted materials could include: organic semiconductors and conjugated polymers (e.g. PEDOT:PSS); thermo/hygro/chemically-responsive polymers and hydrogels; shape memory polymers; conductive elastomers.
CMBR possesses world class facilities and expertise for developing a new generation of robots and devices made of polymer-based soft functional materials and inspired by living organisms, such as plants and animals. We work in particular on system fabrication, functional materials and interfaces, actuation and sensing solutions. CMBR has fully equipped chemical, biological and microfabrication facilities, including clean rooms (class 1000 and class 10000), chemical laboratories, BSL2 biological laboratories, and equipments for material testing and characterization.
We are looking for candidates with relevant expertise in chemistry, in particular, with experience in materials chemistry, polymer chemistry, and/or organic chemistry applied to functional materials.
Based on targeted applications, research activities can leverage the excellent CMBR facilities, as well as collaborations. International applications are encouraged.
We are looking for a scientist with the following competences/skills:
• Solid background in chemistry focused on polymer chemistry and/or organic chemistry is strictly required.
• Experience in standard analytical techniques for chemicals identification and characterization (NMR, FT-IR, UV-vis, Fluorescence spectroscopies, HPLC/GPC) is required;
• Knowledge and experience on surface functionalization/modification, nanoparticles synthesis and characterization is desirable;
• Experience in electrochemistry (and electrochemical deposition processes) as well as in photochemistry is desirable, even if not mandatory;
• Relevant hand-on experiences in microscopy techniques (OM, SEM) and in other surface characterization techniques (AFM, profilometry) as well as other investigation techniques for materials and surfaces (DSC, Rheometry, Surface Wettability) will be considered as a plus.
• Competences on: stimuli responsive polymers, conjugated polymers, organic semiconductors, photo-switchable molecules will be considered as a plus;
Strong organizational skills, creativity, motivation and communication skills (oral and written) are highly required.
The prospective candidate has a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or in related fields.
He/she is expected to: publish scholarly papers; attend international conferences; proactively perform research in a multidisciplinary working environment (encompassing e.g. engineers and biologists); be able to set-up, follow, monitor and oversee his/her personal research plans and directions; supervise PhD students.
Applications, assembled as a single PDF file, shall include:
• a complete CV with a full list of publications, plus a final section titled “Relevant skills” commenting on the strong points where your CV matches the required skills (list above);
• a research statement (up to 3 pages) describing research goals and related plans over a 2-year span of time;
• copy of up to 5 relevant papers, plus a final section titled “Personal contributions” detailing your specific contributions to each presented papers;
• names of 2 referees.
In order to comply with Italian law (art. 23 of Privacy Law of the Italian Legislative Decree n. 196/03), the candidate is kindly asked to give his/her consent to allow IIT to process his/her personal data. We inform you that the information you provide will be solely used for the purpose of assessing your professional profile to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia. Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as the Data Holder, using computer and paper-based means, observing the rules on the protection of personal data, including those relating to the security of data. Please also note that, pursuant to art.7 of Legislative Decree 196/2003, you may exercise your rights at any time as a party concerned by contacting the Data Manager.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.