Andrea Toma has a long-standing experience in the fabrication and characterization of 3D nanostructures, facing cutting-edge issues in plasmonics and nanophotonics. He is research scientist at the Italian Institute of Technology where he currently supervises the magneto-plasmonics activity. He published more than 80 scientific papers and holds 5 patents (citations>500/year, h-index=31). In particular, he contributed to 1 Nature Nanotechnology, 1 Nature Photonics, 1 Nature Communications, 3 Advanced Materials, 7 Nano Letters, 5 ACS Nano, 1 Advanced Functional Materials and 2 Physical Review Letters. His full list of publications is available at https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=iyCGU6EAAAAJ&hl=en. Since 2012, he joined the Proposal Study Panel (PSP) of the Molecular Foundry, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where he is currently serving as a peer reviewer member. He works as referee for many international journals and international funding agencies; he is fellow of the Italian Society of Optics and Photonics and program committee member of few conferences on light-matter interaction and nano- /micro-fabrication. In 2014, he was appointed Editor on "Nano-Plasmonics" for the Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, Springer and awarded as Experienced external reviewer of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) / Switzerland. From 2016, he serves as an Editorial Board Member for "Scientific Reports", Nature Publishing Group.
1. Compagnia di San Paolo Project ID. 10262 “Pan-lab: biosensoristica plasmonica per diagnosi precoce (Pan-lab: plasmonic biosensors for early diagnosis). Co-PI. Financial Value: 72.000,00 Euro.
1. X. Jin, A. Cerea, G. C. Messina, A. Rovere, R. Piccoli, F. De Donato, F. Palazon, A. Perucchi, P. Di Pietro, R. Morandotti, S. Lupi, F. De Angelis, M. Prato, A. Toma*, L. Razzari, Reshaping the phonon energy landscape of nanocrystals inside a terahertz plasmonic nanocavity, Nat. Commun. 9 (2018) 763.
2. S. Panaro, A. Nazir, R. Proietti Zaccaria, L. Razzari, C. Liberale, F. De Angelis, A. Toma*, Plasmonic Moon: A Fano-Like Approach for Squeezing the Magnetic Field in the Infrared, Nano Lett. 15 (2015) 6128.
3. A. Toma, S. Tuccio, M. Prato, F. De Donato, A. Perucchi, P. Di Pietro, S. Marras, C. Liberale, R. Proietti Zaccaria, F. De Angelis, L. Manna, S. Lupi, E. Di Fabrizio, L. Razzari, Squeezing Terahertz Light into Nanovolumes: Nanoantenna Enhanced Terahertz Spectroscopy (NETS) of Semiconductor Quantum Dots, Nano Lett. 15 (2015) 386.
4. A. Nazir, S. Panaro, R. Proietti Zaccaria, C. Liberale, F. De Angelis, A. Toma*, Fano Coil-Type Resonance for Magnetic Hot-Spot Generation, Nano Lett. 14 (2014) 3166.
5. M. Chirumamilla, A. Toma*, A. Gopalakrishnan, G. Das, R. Proietti Zaccaria, R. Krahne, E. Rondanina, M. Leoncini, C. Liberale, F. De Angelis, E. Di Fabrizio, 3D Nanostar Dimers with sub-10 nm Gap for single/few molecules Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering, Adv. Mater. 26 (2014) 2353. Frontispiece in Adv. Mater. 15/2014 page 2352
6. A. Giugni, B. Torre, A. Toma, M. Francardi, M. Malerba, A. Alabastri, R. Proietti Zaccaria, M. I. Stockman, E. Di Fabrizio, Hot-electron nanoscopy using adiabatic compression of surface plasmons, Nat. Nanotechnol. 8 (2013) 845.
---------------------------------------Additional High Impact (IF>10) Publications---------------------------------------
7. F. De Angelis, F. Gentile, F. Mecarini, G. Das, M. Moretti, P. Candeloro, M. L. Coluccio, G. Cojoc, A. Accardo, C. Liberale, R. Proietti Zaccaria, G. Perozziello, L. Tirinato, A. Toma, G. Cuda, R. Cingolani, E. Di Fabrizio, Breaking the diffusion limit with super-hydrophobic delivery of molecules to plasmonic nanofocusing SERS structures, Nat. Photonics 5 (2011) 682.
8. E. Miele, M. Malerba, M. Dipalo, E. Rondanina, A. Toma, F. De Angelis, Controlling wetting and self-assembly dynamics by tailored hydrophobic and oleophobic surfaces, Adv. Mater. 26 (2014) 4179.
9. G. C. Messina, M. Dipalo, R. La Rocca, P. Zilio, V. Caprettini, R. Proietti Zaccaria, A. Toma, F. Tantussi, L. Berdondini, F. De Angelis, Spatially, Temporally, and Quantitatively Controlled Delivery of Broad Range of Molecules into Selected Cells through Plasmonic Nanotubes Adv. Mater. (2015) in press.
10. P. Zilio, M. Malerba, A. Toma, R. Proietti Zaccaria, A. Jacassi, F. De Angelis, Hybridization in Three Dimensions: A Novel Route toward Plasmonic Metamolecules, Nano Lett. 15 (2015) 5200.
11. K. Miszta, F. Greullet, S. Marras, M. Prato, A. Toma, M. Arciniegas, L. Manna, R. Krahne, Nanocrystal Film Patterning by Inhibiting Cation Exchange via Electron-Beam or X-ray Lithography, Nano Lett. 14 (2014) 2116.
12. F. De Angelis, M. Malerba, M. Patrini, E. Miele, G. Das, A. Toma, R. Proietti Zaccaria, E. Di Fabrizio, 3D hollow nanostructures as building block for multifunctional plasmonics, Nano Lett. 13 (2013) 3553.
13. B. Fazio, C. D’Andrea, F. Bonaccorso, A. Irrera, G. Calogero, C. Vasi, P. G. Gucciardi, M. Allegrini, A. Toma, D. Chiappe, C. Martella, F. Buatier de Mongeot, Re-radiation Enhancement in Polarized Surface-Enhanced Resonant Raman Scattering of Randomly Oriented Molecules on Self-Organized Gold Nanowires, ACS Nano 5 (2011) 5945.
14. F. Neubrech, D. Weber, J. Katzmann, C. Huck, A. Toma, E. Di Fabrizio, A. Pucci, T. Härtling, Infrared Optical Properties of Nanoantenna Dimers with Photochemically Narrowed Gaps in the 5 nm Regime, ACS Nano 6 (2012) 7326.
15. C. D'Andrea, J. Bochterle, A. Toma, C. Huck, F. Neubrech, E. Messina, B. Fazio, O. M. Maragò, E. Di Fabrizio, M. Lamy de la Chapelle, P. G. Gucciardi, A. Pucci, Optical Nanoantennas for Multiband Surface-Enhanced Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy, ACS Nano 7 (2013) 3522.
16. C. Huck, F. Neubrech, J. Vogt, A. Toma, D. Gerbert, J. Katzmann, T. Härtling, A. Pucci, Surface-Enhanced Infrared Spectroscopy Using Nanometer-Sized Gaps, ACS Nano 8 (2014) 4908.
17. A. Gopalakrishnan, M. Chirumamilla, F. De Angelis, A. Toma, R. Proietti Zaccaria, R. Krahne, Bimetallic 3D Nanostar Dimers in Ring Cavities: Recyclable and Robust Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Substrates for Signal Detection from Few Molecules, ACS Nano 8 (2014) 7986.
18. H. Wang, H. Y. Wang, A. Bozzola, A. Toma, S. Panaro, W. Raja, A. Alabastri, L. Wang, Q. D. Chen, H. L. Xu, F. De Angelis, H. B. Sun, R. Proietti Zaccaria, Dynamics of Strong Coupling between J-Aggregates and Surface Plasmon Polaritons in Subwavelength Hole Arrays, Adv. Funct. Mater. 26 (2016) 6198. Frontispiece in Adv. Funct. Mater. 34/2016 page 6197.
19. A. Alabastri, M. Malerba, E. Calandrini, A. Manjavacas, F. De Angelis, A. Toma, R. Proietti Zaccaria, Controlling the heat dissipation in temperature-matched plasmonic nanostructures, Nano Lett. 17 (2017) 5472.